Would you like to get involved and volunteer at the surgery? Start a new community project? Or join in and meet new people?
We are supporting patients and local residents to volunteer through several GP practices across the borough. These volunteers will provide a new resource to practices, helping them to be more resilient, sustainable and inclusive.
Funded by the City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group, the project aims to lighten the load on GP surgeries and encourage patients into activities that will benefit their health and well-being.
A few examples of such activities could include:
- Weekly coffee morning delivered at the GP surgery, for patients to just talk, and form friendships.
- Peer support groups e.g. a menopause support group or a local drop-in for carers and their cared for.
- Volunteers to play with children in the waiting room e.g. “story time” or arts and crafts activities.
- Volunteer befrienders to visit isolated patients, and help them attend surgery appointments.
- Volunteer “health champions” to spread health messages.
- Administration support to complete forms, send out reminder letters, or make follow-up calls.
Please note: Where Covid restriction are still in place, we adapt the project to focus only on appropriate activities, whilst planning a broader range of initiatives for the future.
What support can we provide?
Volunteer Centre Hackney can provide delivery staff, management support, and training for volunteers. There are also small project grants available for patients who want to run their own activities.
Together Better Project Manager
Lower Clapton Group Practice
Richmond Road Practice
Spring Hill Practice and Lawson Practice
Valentina Ines La Mela
City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group
We will be working closely with the Primary Care Networks, local GPs, Patient Participation Groups, and local Neighbourhoods, as well as local community groups and services.