We are supporting patients and local residents to volunteer through several GP practices across the borough. They provide a new resource to practices, helping them be resilient, sustainable and inclusive
This project – funded by the City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group – aims to support patients and local residents to develop vital volunteer roles such as calling patients to remind them to attend appointments or running their own health and fitness group.
A few examples of such activities could include:
- Weekly coffee morning delivered at the GP surgery, for patients to just talk, and form friendships.
- Peer support groups e.g. a menopause support group or a local drop-in for carers and their cared for.
- Volunteers to play with children in the waiting room e.g. “story time” or arts and crafts activities.
- Volunteer befrienders to visit isolated patients, and help them attend surgery appointments.
- Volunteer “health champions” to spread health messages.
- Administration support to complete forms, send out reminder letters, or make follow-up calls.
Please note: While Covid restriction are in place, we are adapting the project to focus only on appropriate activities, whilst planning a broader range of initiatives for the future.
What support can we provide?
Volunteer Centre Hackney can provide delivery staff, management support, and training for volunteers. There are also small project grants available for patients who want to run their own activities.
This programme is being delivered on a rolling basis, starting with 3 GP Practices (Elsdale St, Spring Hill and Somerford Grove), with a further 6 surgeries due to join later on.
Together Better Project Manager:
Claire Ferrigi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elsdale St Practice:
Krista Brown: Krista.Brown@vchackney.org
Spring Hill Practice:
Richard Howlett: email@example.com
Phone: 07305 786174
Somerford Grove Practice:
Sinead Geary: firstname.lastname@example.org
City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group
We will be working closely with the Primary Care Networks, local GPs, Patient Participation Groups, and local Neighbourhoods, as well as local community groups and services.