Volunteer for Hackney this Winter
‘People out there need help. We need grassroots action – this is it. I’m happy to be here.’ Kenneth, Volunteer
Thank you to everyone who came to our Volunteer Vair on 1st November! It was great to welcome so many people keen to get involved in their community, and have the chance to meet some of the non-profit organisations and charities we work with.
‘Such a great opportunity to hear about the fantastic work our local organisations are doing, and to talk to the amazing Hackney residents keen to give their time to support them. Lovely to be able to welcome local councillors – and regular volunteers – Carole Williams and Chris Kennedy as well.‘ Jane, Head of Volunteering at VCH
If you weren’t able to make it this time, don’t worry– you can still make a difference this winter. The cost of living crisis is hitting hard; even giving an hour a month helps.
Whether you want to unwind after work, make new friends, have fun in retirement, get new skills to help with job hunting, or have fun after school, volunteering can add something to your life.
Here are just a few ways you can volunteer in Hackney this winter:
- Get till experience with All Aboard Shopsin Stamford Hill, helping them sell preloved donated goods to raise money for UK Charities
- Share recipe ideas, healthy eating tips, and cook with people struggling with food costs with Bags of Taste
- Make food deliveries and collections from supermarkets to help Children with Voices support families in need
- Help grow a community garden with Energy Garden– you’ll be improving air quality and biodiversity, and making your neighbours’ commutes greener
- Support Hackney Caribbean Elderly Organisation, helping elders to get help with their housing, social care, health and other issues
- Bring play to children under 5 and their families, making sure the children are safe, helping them play and do craft activities with Hackney Playbus, and supporting parents and carers
- Make hot drinks at Hackney Showroom’s children’s library, help set up the library, and make families feel welcome at story-times
- Talk to children about your job, inspire them about their future, and help them build confidence with Inspire
- Batch cook vegan meals for local food banks and class participants with Made in Hackney
- Help a young person discover their gift for writing, build their confidence, and take part in workshops with Ministry of Stories
Didn’t find what you’re after? We can point you to over 300 other ways to get involved and help non-profit organisations.
Want to volunteer this Christmas? Sign up to our monthly newsletter to find out how you can get involved. We won’t share your data and you can unsubscribe at any time.