Spring into action with volunteering
This spring, Volunteer Centre Hackney is blooming with opportunities. Volunteering – especially in the brighter months – encourages you to become more physically active, getting out and becoming part of your community.
Whether its outdoor games or planting flowers there is something for you. So shake off those winter blues and take a look at a selection of what is on offer below this Easter and into May to get a little spring in your step.
If you have green fingers, why not give these roles a try?
- Beecholme Community Garden / Share, grow and socialise! If you’re interested in the natural world, come and learn gardening skills or share your knowledge with others at regular gardening sessions in Clapton. Come down and be part of our friendly group. No previous experience needed. See more here
- Group Conservation Volunteering / Our Park Life is seeking volunteers to help contribute to the conservation and environmental management of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Please see here
Put those trainers to good use with these activities:
- Female coaches and mentors / Mini Mermaids are seeking female Coaches and Mentors who will work with groups of girls at various Primary schools and local community centres around the Hackney and Islington area. Find out more here. The team are also seeking male volunteers.
- Parent & Toddler Balance Bike Session Volunteers needed to help out at parent & toddler cycling sessions. See more here.
Fun outdoor games and activities for all:
- Young Hackney need enthusiastic volunteers on 1 and/or 2 May to help run a football competition for Hackney primary schools! Ideal for someone who likes being outdoors and wants to support children to complete a fun sports day. Find out more here
- Community Games Player / Over the next two years UBG have been commissioned to deliver 80 community playdays, aimed at connecting the diverse groups who live and work around Gillett Square in Dalston. See more here
- Dalston Childrens’ Festival needs you! Taking place over 2 weekends, Hackney Council are looking for people with local knowledge to help make the event a success. Read more here.
Spend time helping as a family:
- London Marathon need enthusiastic event volunteers to join Cheer Points on Sunday 28th April 2019. Lots of charities including Target Ovarian Cancer are seeking enthusiastic supporters!
- Host UK are seeking people to help host international students in the UK, spending a short time in a British home with our volunteer hosts in order to promote cultural exchange and international friendship.
- Lots of charities run family friendly volunteer activities including litter-picking, conducting animal counts and helping to clear up and maintain green areas including Ecoactive, Plastic-Free Hackney, The Canal and River Trust and more. We’ll update these as soon as more are confirmed for the May half term!