How can I support refugees?
Refugee Week runs from the 19th-25th June this year, and celebrates the contributions, creativity and resilience of refugees and people seeking sanctuary. Since the theme for this year is compassion, we’d like to share a few ways you can gift your time as a volunteer to support refugees and asylum seekers.
Coach or mentor a Tigrayan Refugee with the WHEAT Mentor Support Trust
- Help a refugee explore their career options, give advice about job applications, and talk about their ambitions and hopes for the future
- This is also an opportunity to improve your communication skills, develop leadership and management experience, improve your own knowledge, and fit volunteering around your schedule
- You’d be sorting donations of essential aid items into organised sections so they can be distributed to refugees
- As a volunteer, you’d have the chance to work independently or in a team, gain organisation skills, and volunteer whenever suits you
- Raise awareness of the issues refugees and migrants living and working in Hackney face and campaign on their behalf
- Build your admin and writing skills by helping with the newsletter, taking minutes on meetings, and helping with data collection
- Ideally you’d be able to commit 14hrs/ week
If none of those roles are quite what you’re looking for, click here to search for more roles on our VCConnect platform or email our Brokerage service at firstname.lastname@example.org.