Christmas volunteer opportunities – volunteering near me
Christmas is a time for giving – and what better gift is there than your time?
The cost of living crisis is hitting hard, nights are getting colder, and for many people, Christmas is a difficult time of year.
Can you give a couple of hours this Christmas to make a difference in Hackney? From one off volunteering to Christmas activities, there are lots of ways to give back. Here are some charities looking for volunteers in Hackney this Christmas:
- Support an isolated person living with HIV in London to come and join in the Christmas festivities at The Food Chain. You’ll drive them from their home to Food Chain’s kitchen in Stepney Green, join in with lunch and Christmas games, films, and quizzes yourself, and return them at the end of the afternoon.
- When? Christmas day
- Support someone isolated who has dementia, disability, stroke, heart conditions, diabetes, or other long-term physical and mental health issues
- You could help serve meals, chat to guests, tidy, drive, or give hand massages – no specific skills needed
- When? Flexible
- Hand out food after work in Holborn to support people living in food poverty
- You’ll be part of AMURT UK’s volunteer team, helping local communities affected by disaster and crises and help them move on with their lives
- When? Thursday evenings
- Help someone gain literacy skills they need to fulfil their potential and live life to the full
- Read Easy is a national charity that helps adults to learn to read
- When? Flexible: twice a week, 30 minute slots
- Lend a hand with activities like cooking, washing up, and serving food
- When: Tuesday evening from 5:00-8:30 pm or Sunday from 10:30am-2:30pm.
- Help a young person achieve the GCSE or A Level results they deserve – no prior teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- When: 1 hour a week during school term time (day and time flexible)
Want to search for more roles? You can use our database and filter by your interests, availability, location, and more. Search our volunteer database here
If you’re able to spare a few pounds, please consider donating to Hackney Food Network’s Winter 2023 Fundraiser. We know this is a challenging time of the year for everyone, but if you can contribute you will be helping 18 different organisations to ensure that no-one goes hungry in our borough.
* We will be regularly updating this page with all the latest opportunities to volunteer at Christmas in Hackney, so remember to check back here if you’re interested in volunteering in Hackney this Winter!
FOR ORGANISATIONS: If you need volunteers, please let us know. If you’re registered with Volunteer Centre Hackney, simply add any new roles that you have to Volunteer Connect – Organisation