Christmas Volunteering in Hackney
Christmas is traditionally the time of year when people give generously to one another. So why not give your time and help make Hackney a warmer, kinder place to be this winter?
Here at Volunteer Centre Hackney we’re urgently in need of new Covid-19 Vaccination Site Volunteers. A significant number of Hackney residents are still not fully vaccinated and many more are due their booster jabs.
We’re looking for Community Supporters/Telephone Befrienders who can give 1-2 hours of their time either meeting face-to-face or talking on the phone with a vulnerable person. It would be a bonus if you could speak a community language such as Bosnian, Portuguese, Turkish, Hindi, Farsi or Urdu.
Then Hackney Doorways are looking for volunteers in a couple of different roles:
- Weekend Shelter Volunteers who can give a morning, an afternoon, or an evening on the weekend to serving hot drinks and chatting with guests at the shelter.
- Overnight Volunteers to stay overnight at the Women’s Shelter and make it feel like a safe and comfortable place to be. You will serve a simple breakfast in the morning, and be able to sleep during the night!
Meanwhile Children with Voices are looking for Christmas Delivery Volunteers who can spare 2 hours in the week collecting food donations and delivering care packages around Hackney.
The Friends of Woodberry Down need a Christmas Party Volunteer to help set up and serve coffee and food at their Christmas party on the 14 December.
AMURT have a range of roles:
- Help make energy bars made from healthy, natural ingredients to be distributed to homeless charities
- Chop n’ Chat volunteers to support group cooking sessions producing delicious plant-based meals to be distributed to vulnerable groups
- Meal distribution volunteers to support AMURT with the distribution of meals and snacks to their regular queue at Lincoln’s Inn Fields, Holborn
Mentoring Lab are looking for an experienced Event Coordinator to help organise their winter fundraising programme.
Finally, the National Autistic Society are putting on their annual Christmas concert Stars Shine and need volunteers to greet guests, show people to their seats, sell mince pies and provide general support.
And if you can’t give your time, you could always give a donation to the Hackney Food Network, a network of 50 local community organisations who want to make sure no one goes hungry at Christmas. You can also spread the word on social media using the hashtag #HackneyFoodFund!
(We will be regularly updating this page with all the latest opportunities to volunteer at Christmas in Hackney, so remember to check back here if you’re interested in volunteering in Hackney this Christmas!)